Charlie, Evie and Ford

Charlie, Evie and Ford

Monday, January 7, 2013

Getting Ready for Christmas

Clint was busy working, so the kids and I headed down to Seguin a few days early to "help" my mom get ready for Christmas.  It was so fun to be with them (so fun, in fact, that Charlie and Evie decided to stay even longer than we did, but that's another story :).  I love all the build-up to Christmas, and feel like I really got my fix with Christmas activities this year.  

One tradition (that Meg and I love and my mom hates, probably because we're not quite as good at cleaning as we are at baking :) is making iced sugar cookies.  With Meg in Birmingham, I had to do this on my own.  Not quite as fun, but it was nice to have extra for me. :)

We took the kids to see the live nativity at "Papa's church" and Charlie was so fascinated by this.  He couldn't believe he was meeting "the real Mary" and baby Jesus.  The high school kids who put this on were adorable, and the kids really loved seeing them and the different animals they had out there with them.  Charlie liked it so much that he made me drive by the church every time we went out so that he could check if they were still there!

Santa sent videos for the kids, and they were so amazed to see him talking to them.  We watched these in hushed silence, and I've never seen Charlie trying so hard to pick up his toys (per Santa's instructions).  Evie didn't try quite as hard to "be nice to your brother," but we decided to give her a pass this year.
Evie got in lots of time with her Grandma Ali, and just adores her.  I loved seeing her bonding with some of my family.  I love that this girl is such a devoted Mama's girl, but I also don't mind sharing the love a bit. :)
Charlie's favorite thing to do in Seguin is spend time with Papa.  He will tag along on any of Papa's errands, no matter how mundane it may seem.  If Papa's home, Charlie's usually with him.  I saw them like this several times over the holiday, and I just thought it was so sweet.  They are two peas in a pod!
Evie is less impressed by the sweetness.
Grandma Ali had one big tree and two small trees at her house and Charlie insisted that these stay lit at all times.  Much to my chagrin, he would go plug them in himself if one was not on.  The kids loved our Christmas tree and Ahh's tree.  Evie loved to undecorate the trees, but Charlie was surprisingly well-behaved around them--he inspected the ornaments regularly, but tended to just leave them where they were.  Gives me some hope for next year!


I am a little surprised that this little climber didn't pull the tree down on top of herself this season.  And she only had one big tree-related fall (she had climbed on top of a chair to get closer to some choice ornaments, and tumbled down into the tree).  I am counting us lucky!

I will finish up my Christmas posts soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment