Charlie, Evie and Ford

Charlie, Evie and Ford

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

6 Months Old!

It is hard to believe that we are half-way to Charlie's first birthday--but at the same time, Clint and I can hardly remember what life was like before Charlie came onto the scene. Like months 1-5, Charlie's 6th month did not disappoint. I retired from work and Charlie dropped out of day care, so both of us have had some adjustments, but they have been wonderful ones. Charlie and I have had the best time running around together and getting involved in various activities. We've joined some playgroups, started Little Gym, gotten together with friends, gone to the park, traveled a bit, and spent lots and lots of time outside (our favorite activity). And since I've been home, I have had so much fun watching all of Charlie's changes and developments--it is crazy how fast he is growing and changing right now! Clint came home yesterday after being away for 2 nights and was convinced that Charlie had grown considerably in that short amount of time!

At 6 months, Charlie is sitting very well (although sometimes I mistakenly convince myself that he doesn't need supervision anymore and turn around just as he's tumbling to the ground :), and using his hands much more deliberately (and effectively). He is scooting (or "army crawling") all over the place. He just took off this week and is loving his newfound mobility. I ran upstairs the other day to move some clothes into the dryer and when I came down, Charlie had made his way half-way across our living room! It is definitely time to child-proof the house! And although Charlie is sitting and scooting, he has somehow forgotten how to roll over (or doesn't want to anymore). Although he rolls occasionally, he much prefers it if I will do it for him. :)

Charlie likes to jump in his jumper and play in his exersaucer, but only briefly--he would much rather be playing with his toys on the floor where he can move around as much as he wants. His favorite toy at the moment is a little plastic car that moves when you push it. It has been great at encouraging him to crawl--Charlie has been following that car all over the house. :) He is still an incredibly social baby and loves to get out and see people. He smiles and laughs all the time, making our lives so much fun. And although Charlie loves all music, his favorite is still Wheels on the Bus. I try not to overuse it, as it's so handy to have as a "special treat" when Charlie is getting fussy. I am always amazed at how a rousing round of "Wheels" can turn a bad mood around. :)


Charlie is a great sleeper now, and is taking 2 good naps each day and sleeping 11-12 hours at night. It is so nice for all of us to be getting so much sleep! And even when he's not sleeping, Charlie enjoys playing in his crib--especially if I let him sit up in there...

The mobile--in his crib and on his swing--is always very enticing to those chubby little hands...

I took this picture the other day when Charlie was sick. He was trying to play with his toys, but he was feeling terribly and his little heart just wasn't in it. He was so good while he was sick, but I am LOVING having him well again. Charlie was sick on and off the entire time he was in day care, and I had forgotten how easy and fun he is when he's totally well!

As my "quitting" work (and being forced to give back my Blackberry) present, I got an iPhone. I can't believe I've lasted this long without one--it is awesome! I have enjoyed getting some goofy pics of Charlie on my phone (see below :).

During Charlie's 6th month, we have been experimenting with solid foods. He loves his extra meals and I have been having fun with them as well. Charlie has now tried rice cereal, oatmeal, peas, and carrots, and we're getting ready to start introducing even more foods. So far, the rice cereal and peas are the favorites (despite a very big shudder at his first bite of peas). And even though he's been eating solids for a few weeks now, he still "attacks" the spoon when I feed him. He doesn't just open his mouth and let the food go in--he lunges as far as he can toward the spoon. I am just trying to keep from jamming the spoon down his throat! Here's the hungry little guy with his favorite peas...

What a wonderful 6 months! (And I know I've been bad about blogging regularly--I have some catching up to do, but hopefully I'll be better about now that I'm home!).

No comments:

Post a Comment