Charlie, Evie and Ford

Charlie, Evie and Ford

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Overheard

Evie and Charlie have been so funny lately.  I try to record some of their sayings from time to time so that I don't forget them.  I just love listening to them talk and getting a window into their world.  Their conversations are so earnest and sweet; I just love how they take each other so seriously (even if that does create problems at times--Charlie loves to tease Evie, who can't quite appreciate humor yet :).

Some of my favorites:

The other day, we were riding along in the car and Charlie started musing over his future career plans.  He informed us that he wanted to be a "Seattle Seahawk football player [he's still pumped up over their Superbowl win], an astronaut," and he will "drive a motorcycle, 18-wheeler, and a Ranger" (I have a picture of a very classy guy in my head right now).  I asked Evie what she was going to be when she grew up and after thinking about it for a minute, she decided she wanted to "eat pink cake and get dressed pink clothes."  I'm worried that I'm not setting a good example for her--time for this mommy to get back to work! :)

Evie is very aware of anything that might be "scawey" right now.  She sees potential dangers everywhere, and I'm often hearing "dat is too scawey for me."  It is always theoretical, though--she is surprisingly fearless and tough when presented with playground equipment, a scooter, big kids threatening her or Charlie's things, etc.  We were driving by Schlitterbahn the other day and Charlie was exclaiming over how he wanted to go there.  Evie took one look at the water slides and said, in her most panicked voice, "I not do dat!!"  We asked why and she said, "dat is too scawey!"

Papa loves to tease Evie and it is so easy to get her going (simply telling her that a horse you see belongs to someone other than her, telling her she can't have something pink, or pretending you are going to eat her food will send her over the edge).  She has decided she is 2 and a half, and when Papa tried to dispel her of that notion, telling her she is "2 and a third," she became quite angry, growling, "I'm gonna put you in a trash can."  (This reminds me of the day she told Ahh she was "wobber" and an "old man.")  We are beginning to think Evie was a mob boss in a prior life... [As evidence of that, after play dates, Charlie and I always talk about how fun it was, while Evie always proudly reports, "I pushed" (and, unfortunately, she usually did...).]  Evie's world is perfectly black and white: everyone is either "nice" or "bad," and anything bad that happens (or that we fear) can generally be blamed on "bad guys."

Today, I was interviewing a lady who might babysit for the kids every once in a while.  After hearing me ask a few questions, the kids decided to get in on the action.  I heard Charlie say, "What do you like to do for fun with your family?"  While she was trying to decide how to answer that, Evie popped out with, "what your daddy name?"  People better bring their A-game to our house!

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny. Why in the world did she want to know the babysitter's daddy's name? I feel like this was a question designed to intimidate her...

    ReplyDelete