Charlie, Evie and Ford

Charlie, Evie and Ford

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Dastardly Trip to Denver

Charlie and I decided to accompany Clint on another interview trip--this time to Denver--and had a wonderful time. This trip, however, was not quite as smooth as our North Carolina trip. I should have known when I arrived at the airport and realized we had left my trusty Baby Bjorn carrier in the car (and was traveling without a stroller because I was supposed to be bringing the Bjorn...) that this was just not going to be a problem-free trip. When traveling with a baby (or at all, for that matter), organization is key. And somehow, I just didn't have it together on this trip. It started with the Bjorn and continued when I arrived at the gate without my boarding pass (I later found it tucked away in one of Charlie's diapers--because that's a great place to keep a boarding pass, right?). I lost a glove on the plane, and then left our only blanket and Charlie's toys at the house of one of Clint's friends in Denver. Because Clint had a pre-interview dinner on Sunday and his interview all day Monday, Charlie and I were on our own for a good chunk of the trip. I felt the loss of the Bjorn (and Clint of course :) very strongly when I was left to wrangle Charlie on my own all day on Monday. We took a taxi to a nearby mall, and on the way, I was chastised by my taxi driver for not having a way to carry Charlie around the mall (because I had no idea that would be a problem). Luckily, I was able to rent a (huge!) stroller for $1 at the mall. Not the best stroller I've ever tried, but I was sure happy to see it! :)

The final blow came at the airport on the way home (after we had to undergo full body pat-downs because I failed to separate out my liquids :). I went to change Charlie right before we boarded the plane and just before I did, Charlie managed to go to the bathroom all over his outfit. We were already running late, so I peeled off his outfit, put on a fresh diaper, wrapped him in my jacket and ran to the gate, planning to put him in a fresh outfit on the plane. The flight attendants made sure to let me know that Charlie didn't have clothes on (nice of them, because I hadn't noticed), that it was very cold outside (again, hadn't noticed) and that I should have packed extra outfits (I did, just didn't want to hold up the flight any longer...).

All in all, the trip was fun, but my disorganization made it slightly more stressful than it should have been. I took a few pictures which--not unlike the trip--are fairly underwhelming... :)

We drove around Denver to see the sights...and made a quick stop for a photo of the capitol.
My rousing dinner companion on Sunday night...
Charlie was thrilled with his huge double stroller at the mall.
And, of course, we had to test out Denver's playgrounds. Charlie found this playground as thrilling as the one we found in North Carolina. Check out his huge smiles! :)


We ate some mangoes for breakfast in the Denver airport (this is right before Charlie destroyed his outfit :).
New Year's Resolution: become a more organized traveler!

No comments:

Post a Comment